Green is Good

Friday, November 04, 2005

YOUNG GUNS


This movie has a very special place in my heart. When my mom first started getting sick with cancer we brought in a health aid Marie to help take care of her during the day. Every tuesday My mom and Marie would go to a matinee at briarwood and the pizza hut for lunch after. In the summer, i'd tag along sometimes (i was about 12 i think at the time) Jeff would come too often. Anyways, this movie in particulare, i really didn't want to see. From the previews it reminded me of some kind of NKOTB movie or something for young girls to watch. I went anyway, as this was the Apex of my chubby stage and I couldn't refuse pizza hut after. To my surprise this became one of my all -time favorite movies. It also ended up being the last movie I ever saw with my mom as I became busier and she became too sick to go to these shows shortly after. So i'm very fond of it for personal reasons as well as story reasons.

The story I won't rehash, i'm guessin' most folks have seen it or enuff of it to know it's about Billy the Kid and his quest for revenge. Looking back on it, it's still a good story that holds up action wise to today's movies. I'm not a big Emilio Estevez fan, but I loved his smartass role in this. He nailed it. I still get choked up when Charlie and Dirty Steve die, and when Chavez returns with the horses. How many movies have Charlie Sheen AND Emilio Estevez been in together anyway? I can think of 2..this one..and Men At Work..which I also saw unfortunately. That alone tho, makes it a must see.

Now of course, one of the other characters to die was the benevolent cattle rancher alex..aka LOCK from LOST. He's come a long way...his acting weren't dat good as sammy sosa would say. I think what makes it tho are two things 1) Jack Palance as the bad guy...him and Jon Black from days of our lives had more deep breaths per second than anyone else on tv/film EVER. He's the best. and 2) the scenery, just beautiful and really well characterized for the period.

Now, Young Guns II I also enjoyed, but not to the same level...Christian Slater was surprisingly tolerable in this flick and I liked how it was a flashback told by a modern day 1950's Billy the Kid to capitalize on the rumors he may really have lived thru Fort Sumter and the shot in the back from Pat Garrett. Watching this movie again tho last night tipped off two more reasons I like it now. 1) Balthazaar Getty is in it as a vagabond youth..who, of course now, is the main character on ALIAS this season and 2) Viggo Mortensen..the man who's nut face I still can't get out of my mind was a friend of the federal government in the pic and a bad guy too.

Link of the day is AWESOME: It ties into the SNL post from yesterday..some real awesome skits..when Will Ferrell comes out in the first one, the whole cast loses it..but this site has some of teh all time bests..INCLUDING EVERY SNL JEOPARDY EPISODE EVER..check it ou
http://smithappens.com/video_snljeffreys.php

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home